Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Play Dough - Presents for little friends

Again, not photography related, but another fun idea to try. After our success with creating gifts for the teachers, Toby wanted to expand the range to include their day care friends. We decided to make little gift packs of brightly coloured play dough. Each child received three tubs, plus a cute Christmas Cookie Cutter that I found in House.


This is the recepie I used:

1 cup salt
2 cups water
2 Tbsp cream of tartar
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp cooking oil
food colouring

Mix all ingredients together and heat for 2 -3 minutes until mixture thickens.
Store in an airtight container. Keeps for months.

It's from the 2007 Timboon Kindergarten Recipe Book and works a treat.
I made a double batch and kept it white. Once it was cooled enough we broke it into small balls and went about colouring each one. The kids had a great time using the three primary coloured food dyes to make a huge variety of colours. We used EC Kindergarten food dye, which is super bright. I found it in Office Choice.
I did find that I needed to work flour into each ball as we mixed the colours in as we needed quite a bit to get some colours, especially red. I would also recommend maybe wearing some thin rubber gloves....my hands are still rather multi-coloured!!


I found the little containers at a party shot. They are the containers that Chinese takeaway shops use to put their sauces in. I wanted to top the containers off somehow, and found the Christmas labels I used at this site http://www.ishareprintables.com/.


We delivered our gifts today and they went down a treat!


No comments: